23.5.13

Foster The People - Torches


Foster The People
Torches
2011

Foster The People is a trio from LA. Started in 2009, after its founder Mark Foster, spent years as a struggling artist while shuffling through many minimum wage level jobs. Everything turned better once he got a job writing commercial jingles. He regained confidence and later wrote "Pumped Up Kicks," the breakthrough hit off "Torches," their debut album.

Torches is a very balanced album. The same vibe flows throughout yet it never gets stale; each song is unique. It's a very bright sounding album which I can actually play full blast in my car. Newer hip hop and electronic tend to wreck it since I am without sub :(  I'm naturally laughing or smiling. That's my default face. But at work today, multiple people said I looked even more cheerful than usual. I blame this album. Each song quickly becomes a memorable sing-a-long. There are some dark images but they're completely disguised by catchy, quirky melodies. For example, "Pumped Up Kicks" is about a kid going postal in his daydream. But anyway, I bought 3 other CDs with this one today, and have yet to open them, I just play through this album on repeat, all day. And I mean the entire album, every song is equally as good as the last. Therefore I feel it would be redundant to review each song in detail.

But seriously, buy this CD for your car, or if you listen at home, get the vinyl. It will magically brighten your day like an everlasting supply of lucky charms (only the marshmallows).



Foster The People on Wikipedia
Buy on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment